New! InterMed introduces an exciting, new option for prenatal care with CenteringPregnancy. Learn more.
InterMed’s Obstetrics and Gynecology practice is the leading provider of women’s healthcare in Southern Maine and the largest OB/GYN practice in Greater Portland. Our staff and physicians are dedicated to providing the highest quality of care, and whenever possible, maintaining consistency with the same physician.
Watch a short video to learn more about InterMed Women’s Health and the role we play helping women navigate the journey of life.
Led by our highly-trained and board-certified physicians, the Women’s Health team provides care and support for a woman at every stage of her life.
- Routine gynecological exams and Pap smears
- Preventive medicine
- Breast health, including mammography and ultrasound
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Contraception and reproductive choices
- Treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- General and high risk obstetrical care
- Infertility evaluation and treatment
- Fetal diagnosis
- Urinary incontinence
- Gynecologic cancers
- Urogynecologic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery (uterus, ovary, and cervix)
- Outpatient surgery
- Pelvic organ prolapse
In addition, we perform day surgeries and minimally invasive procedures at our Portland surgery center. Additional surgical services are provided at Maine Medical Center. We also perform ultrasounds at our Portland location in partnership with Maine Medical Partners.
Women’s Health Providers
Caroline Cassling, MD
Elisabeth Deeran, MD
Emil Gotschlich, MD
Charlotte Anne Kassab, MD
Mary Lavoie, MD
Julie McFarland, MD
Andrea Pelletier, MD, MPH
Jennifer Pofahl, MD
Jennifer Steffen, NP
Anne Marie Van Hengel, MD
Carol Vaughan, MD
= Accepting new patients
Having a Baby
Childbirth is unique for each woman. Our role is one of empowerment, allowing mothers to control their birth experience and helping them realize the strength of their own bodies.
We feel privileged to participate in this journey and guide mothers during this natural process and respect the right of each woman to help determine her experience.
The role of providers and of the woman’s family is to discover how best to guide and assist the woman through labor and delivery.
When it comes to pregnancy, childbirth, and family, we recognize that women have needs as individuals — emotional, physical, and spiritual — and as part of their family and community. We approach your pregnancy with enthusiasm and excitement, and understand the joys as well as the challenges that pregnancy brings.
With a genuine reverence for the natural process of birth, we strive to balance the best of modern medicine with the wisdom of unhurried care. We recognize your autonomy as the most important principle and strive for honest communication as the best way to build mutual trust. We recognize the physical, psychological, social, and even economic impact that pregnancy can have on our patients.
- We believe healthy mothers lead to healthy babies.
- We support a variety of birth plans.
- We believe in education.
- We believe in compassionate, personalized care.
- We provide a medical home for you, your baby, other children and partner.
- We strive to be efficient and provide all or most care in one place and time.
- We promise to always take the time to listen.
- We believe in integration between practices. Our electronic records make it easy for your primary care physician to share files with your OB/GYN.
- We provide access to community service providers, such as Birth Roots, and Maine Medical Center
All of our physicians have privileges to deliver babies at Maine Medical Center’s Family Birth Center