Plans We Accept
InterMed accepts most major health plans, including most HMOs and PPOs. Participation with InterMed is determined by your specific insurance carrier/policy. The best way to find out if your insurance carrier participates with InterMed is to call your insurance carrier.
New and Existing Patients – Commercial Plans:
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Community Health Options
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
- Tufts Health Plan
New and Existing Patients – Medicare Advantage Plans:
- Aetna — Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and PFFS
- Anthem — Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and PFFS
- Humana (effective January 1, 2022) – Medicare Advantage PPO, POS, PFFS, and HMO Plans
- Martin’s Point Generations Advantage — Medicare Advantage HMO, HMO-POS, PPO, and HMO SNP Plans
- WellCare (formerly Today’s Options) — Medicare Advantage PPO, and PFFS
- UnitedHealthcare — Medicare Advantage Benefit Plans
InterMed does not accept any other Medicare Advantage plans.
Existing Patients – Traditional Medicare:
InterMed accepts Medicare for existing patients who become newly eligible. Additional information is available through:
Existing Patients – MaineCare:
Existing patients who become newly eligible for MaineCare (formerly Medicaid) may choose one of the plans below to continue their care with an InterMed primary care physician.
- State of Maine MaineCare – HMO and Indemnity
InterMed does not accept new patients covered by MaineCare, Tricare, or Traditional Medicare/Medicare Supplements.
If you are an existing patient and your commercial coverage changes to a plan not listed above, InterMed will be considered out-of-network by your plan. For out-of-network HMO plans, this means you will not have coverage if you see an InterMed PCP or specialist without the plan’s authorization. If your new plan is a PPO plan not listed above, we may bill you up to balance charges after the plan pays its out-of-network portion.
(Updated August 2022)