Obstetrics and Gynecology
Our Obstetrics and Gynecology physicians are accepting new patients. For more information, please visit the Become a Patient section of our website.
InterMed is the leading provider of obstetrical and gynecological health care in Southern Maine and the largest Ob-Gyn practice in Greater Portland. Our staff and physicians are dedicated to providing the highest quality of care and, whenever possible, maintaining consistency with the same physician.
Watch a short video to learn more about InterMed Obstetrics and Gynecology and the role we play helping our patients navigate the journey of life.
Led by our highly trained and board-certified physicians, the Obstetrics and Gynecology team provides care and support for every stage of your life.
- Routine gynecological exams and Pap smears
- Preventive medicine
- Breast health, including mammography and ultrasound
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Contraception and reproductive choices
- Treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- General and high-risk obstetrical care
- Infertility evaluation and treatment
- Fetal diagnosis
- Urinary incontinence
- Gynecologic cancers
- Urogynecologic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery (uterus, ovary and cervix)
- Outpatient surgery
- Pelvic organ prolapse
In addition, we perform day surgeries and minimally invasive procedures at our Portland surgery center. Additional surgical services are provided at Maine Medical Center. We also perform ultrasounds at our Portland location in partnership with Maine Medical Partners.
Obstetrics and Gynecology Medical Staff
Elisabeth Deeran, MD
Angela Ferrante, FNP
Joelle Gagnon, DO
Chelsea Jordan, NP
Mary Lavoie, MD
Alida Leavitt, MD
Julie McFarland, MD
Andrea Pelletier, MD, MPH
Rachel Petracca, WHNP
Jennifer Pofahl, MD
Jennifer Steffen, NP
Emily Steinberg, MD
Eleonore Werner, MD
= Accepting new patients
InterMed Ob-Gyn physicians deliver babies at Maine Medical Center.
Childbirth is unique for each of our patients. Our role is one of empowerment, allowing our patients to control their birth experience and helping them realize the strength of their own bodies.
We feel privileged to participate in this journey and guide patients during this natural process and respect the right of all our patients to help determine their experiences.
The role of the medical staff and of the patient’s family is to discover how best to guide and assist the patient through labor and delivery.
When it comes to pregnancy, childbirth, and family, we recognize that our patients have needs as individuals — emotional, physical, and spiritual — and as part of their family and community. We approach your pregnancy with enthusiasm and excitement and understand the joys as well as the challenges that pregnancy brings.
With a genuine reverence for the natural process of birth, we strive to balance the best of modern medicine with the wisdom of unhurried care. We recognize your autonomy as the most important principle and strive for honest communication as the best way to build mutual trust. We recognize the physical, psychological, social and even economic impact that pregnancy can have on our patients.
Our Pregnancy Philosophy:
- We believe healthy patients lead to healthy babies.
- We support a variety of birth plans.
- We believe in education.
- We believe in compassionate, personalized care.
- We strive to be efficient and provide all or most care in one place and time.
- We promise to always take the time to listen.
- We believe in integration between practices. Our electronic records make it easy for your primary care physician to share files with your Ob-Gyn medical staff.
- We provide access to community service providers, such as Birth Roots and Maine Medical Center.